Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Writing for the Senate


My parents let me play hooky for two reasons: to write or to go to the racetrack.

One of those pastimes makes you a bit more employable than the other although it’s a toss-up as to which one will make you more money.

I’ve written over the years for school, for promotion and for hire. I’m happiest when I’m just writing for the fun of it.

I participated in a career development seminar in medical school. The verdict after six weeks was that I should be a writer. Oh well, I thought, I will write in patients’ charts.

There are two places that I currently write--the Chapel Hill Public Library and my home office.

I have to write near a window with birds in plain sight. I have a wall of framed Audubon prints in my office. My novel manuscript is about looking for a songbird, the rufous-sided towhee. Course I don’t have to look for them today; there’s almost always one singing somewhere around the house or the library. People sometimes look for what they already have, anyway.

Many of my writer friends keep a talisman near them while they write. My friend Garrison Somers kept a plane on his desk while he wrote his novel manuscript about a WWII pilot.

I have an office angel with butterfly wings; a friend sent it one holiday. A James Michener quote adorns the skirt: “I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotion.”

Turns out Michener is buried in Austin, Texas, my home away from home, and there is a Michener Center for Writers at UT.

When it comes to writing, I remember the advice of one voice. Surprisingly, it was not an English professor. It was the typing teacher at Sacred Heart Academy. She wore a beehive and way too much Tabu. Her name was Mrs. Pike, and she taught us how to type on our Pica typewriters. This is what she said in a deep southern accent about pounding the keyboard: “Girl if you don’t get it right, you’ve got to do it again.”

Now that plays right into my Catholic, repressed psychodrama. No wonder I worked on the novel manuscript for seven years.

I was fortunate to have many teachers and professors who gave me directive advice about writing on the days that I wasn’t at the track or in my basement typing poetry. They are the ones that I want to thank today in celebration of the National Day on Writing.

2 comments:

  1. I got off school for track days. I remember my Mom picking me up at lunch in grade school and saying we were meeting my Godmother at the track. Might have been Churchill or Miles Park. Some nights it was Louisville downs. Hanging with Women who gambled at so many things made me love being a woman. The 70"s were impowering in a multitude of ways!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like good times! I often took a classmate along with me for statistics research at the track. I won't mention any names.

    ReplyDelete