Monday, November 30, 2009

Before the Cock Crows


Everywhere a sign. Many people heed signs; others don’t.

If your personality profile says that you are intuitive, you probably look for signs and ponder a deeper meaning. But if you perceive only with your senses, you might not be so inclined to interpret signs.

In the oral tradition there are many signs. My family passed down a few to me. Pawpaw George said, “Red sky at night, sailors’ delight. Red sky in the morning, sailors’ warning.” His wife had a favorite saying that conveys an itchy nose is a predictor someone with a hole in their underwear is about to knock on your door.

In medical school I learned of signs, not to be confused with symptoms, the patient’s complaints. Signs are those things a doctor can observe, like yellow eyes, flushed cheeks, or labored breathing. There’s Battle’s sign, the sign of Leser-Trelat, and even Sister Mary Joseph’s sign, which should delight those of you who would like to know more about Mayo Clinic history.

Songwriters like to talk about signs. Everywhere a sign. I saw the sign. I am waiting for a sign.

We all, at times, look for signs: a sign that it’s over, a sign that it’s love, a sign that you’ve gone too far.

It occurs to me that some signs foretell and others just loudly announce what has already happened.

If you’re reading, send up a smoke signal and let me know you’re here. What signs do you heed? Are there any signs that were taught to you in the oral tradition that you intend to pass along to the next generation?

I’ve gotta tell you in my loudest tones/That I started looking for a warning sign.
-“Warning Sign” Coldplay

No comments:

Post a Comment