Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Little Bit of Resolve


I just couldn’t come up with resolutions.

I’m going to take some cues from gifts received in December to find my resolve. Last year I was trying to be fearless; this year I want to have fun.

Fay gave me Dayton Duncan and Ken Burns’ illustrated history of US national parks. This gift reminded me of my father’s love of the national parks and the stories my grandfather told of his CCC days. Think I’ll try a park this year. Hopefully this summer I can go horseback riding through the hills of my roots in Shenandoah or canoeing through the cypress trees at Congaree Swamp.

My sister wrapped a copy of Jacques Pepin’s autobiography in beautiful floral paper. His inscription says, “cook with love.” I’d like to move out of my comfort zone this year in the kitchen. Maybe I’ll take a class at A Southern Season.

My mother-in-law sent an apron and a scouring pad. Hmm.

My husband gave me a camera. He heard my gnashing of teeth even though I never complain too loudly. (Did you believe that lie?) The one I used last year let me down on a couple of important occasions in Austin. This year I’ll include more photos in the blog.

Moving on to the next gift, I received a fantastic hat from Susan the first week in December. The note in the box said last year’s hat was country and this year’s is rock n’ roll. Last year’s hat put me on horses and this year’s hat puts me back in the mosh pit with a backstage invitation. It’s time for more acoustic memories.

Have a great year. I’m off to find some fun.

2 comments:

  1. And the hat from 2007 (or was it 2008?) was a bandana, worn in the fashion of a 'do-rag or a pirate's get-up. But on Heather Hoffmann, it was just pure fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That night on the Ohio River was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete