Monday, August 21, 2017

Shades


It's fitting that I spent a good part of the day rendering advice to my daughter because this eclipse song mentions motherly advice--nothing like it. Wish JoAnne were still here to share her wisdom. I've already posted a blog about the day I let my Mama down when this song showed up on the radio in my Mama's car.
The punch line of Manfred Mann's song:
Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun/
But Mama, that's where the fun is!


Of course the first song that came to mind last week apropos the solar eclipse was Carly Simon's. Fittingly, there is a vanity quiz for guys in GQ this month. It made me laugh on Saturday when I got my glossy fix. One of my medical school classmates with a boat once told me I had a thing for vain guys. I guess I have finally learned my lesson…. And I laugh to think in the summer of 2015 on my way home from Martha's Vineyard, a man did offer to take me to Saratoga. Fortunately, my son came to the rescue!

"Then you flew your Learjet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun."

I thought of a third song this morning, but that acoustic memory has been eclipsed. So thanks to Pat McDonald, let's just say my future's so bright, I have to wear shades.

"I got a crazy teacher who wears dark glasses/
Things are going great and they're only getting better"

No comments:

Post a Comment