Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Back on the Chain Gang


My daughter and I are back on the chain gang.  We're not really out in orange work clothes on the side of the highway, but we're about that miserable.

Our chains are made of mental heavy metal as much as they are of pretty papers.  At some point when she was just a little girl, we made a chain of colorful construction paper to count down the days to a special event.  Nowadays, we use the chain to count down the days until we are reunited.

Over the years, my daughter's status of child of divorced parents has caused heartbreak and misery on the part of both mother and child.  The summers apart or the holidays spent away took giant chunks out of my heart. Now, when we start to feel like we've been apart too long, the chain rears it's head, offering up both bondage and hope.

My daughter is visiting her father this week.  She's been away two days and is due back in five.  So it's back to the chains. Sing it, Chrissie.


The powers that be/
That force us to live like we do/
Bring me to my knees/
When I see what they've done to you/
But I'll die as I stand here today/
Knowing that deep in my heart/
They'll fall to ruin one day/
For making us part

Chrissie Hynde
"Back on the Chain Gang"

2 comments: