Friday, August 31, 2012

Blue Moon Sessions




Yesterday at Pine View Dairy Farm, the back-to-school flavor of the month was peanut butter and jelly.  While it’s true I ate my strawberry ice cream without company since my kids are in school, I thought a blue moon flavor might be a better offering.

In August 2012 we'll have two full moons, the last one occurring today.

The blue moon to me is all about value.  In grocery store lingo it’s a lunar bogo (buy one get one).  It’s got me thinking about value in my life. I’m so inspired by the moon’s beneficence that I’m looking to song lyrics for a similar generosity of value.  But more on that later.

When I recall poems and songs about the moon, one poem really comes to mind. Some years past, my friend Susan, who is just as moved by words as I am, gave me a book of poems, 365 of them, to be exact.  The concept is that for each day of the Julian calendar, there’s a poem.  

Spoiler alert:  You just may fall in love with the Percy Bysshe Shelley poem for June 18, “To Jane: The Keen Stars Were Twinkling”:

Though the sound overpowers,
Sing again, with your dear voice revealing
A tone
Of some world far from ours,
Where music and moonlight and feeling
Are one.

The poem was inspired by Shelley’s infatuation with a guitar-plucking housewife in Pisa named Jane. The lines about “music and moonlight and feeling” resonate with me during this month of the blue moon. 

I’ve made a point to spend some time with the moon this week, harvesting the magic. These blue moon sessions of mine include a patio and some candles and an iPOD. I’m listening to songs and recalling their meanings at the time they were popular (thinking about the acoustic memory) and comparing them to the lyrics’ current message for me, or really, how the song speaks to my life today.

These blue moon sessions have been rather purposeful:  I’m mining old favorite albums like Decade and Let It Bleed to look for lyrics that might suggest a second meaning at this juncture in my life.  I’m searching for songs that will render a blue moon acoustic memory.

A couple times I’ve run across a song that's inspired me to run in the house and play a song on my guitar (like Shelley’s Jane) when lyrics call to mind a newer meaning.

Aside from harvesting blue moon acoustic memories, this month's double dip of a full moon is a great time to contemplate intent.  If you could have something twice this month only, what would it be?

I am a lonely visitor/
I came too late to cause a stir/
Although I campaigned my whole life toward that goal/
I hardly slept the night you wept/
Our secret’s safe and still well kept/
Where even Richard Nixon has got soul.

“Campaigner” 
-Neil Young

No comments:

Post a Comment