Sunday, April 24, 2011

Super Sunday at Shakori with Sarah Lee Guthrie and Tift Merritt


What a great day at Shakori Hills in Pittsboro, NC!

Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion performed several times this weekend, and I caught up with them at 3:00 p.m. on the Meadow Stage where they played new material from their CD, Bright Examples.

My favorite song from that CD, “Butterflies,” reminds me of a day my daughter and I drove from Austin to San Antonio, when the butterflies had flown up from Mexico. "Butterflies in the road/I think we should go real slow" sounds like Victoria Williams in her Musings of a Creek Dipper days.

I noticed Zeke Hutchins was drumming for Sarah Lee and Johnny, and figured that was because Tift Merritt was playing at 5:00, but it turns out Zeke has toured with Johnnie and Sarah Lee, according to his bio on his wife's website.

Tift’s show featured Dave Wilson from Chatham County Line on guitar and a guest appearance by local Django Haskins for a cover of "Thirteen." I preferred her old reliables "Stray Paper" and "Good Hearted Man," along with the new song "Mixtape" I've played on my guitar all weekend.

So much rock and roll love in a plastic case/
Play it loud then see my face
Tift Merritt, "Mixtape"

No comments:

Post a Comment